Pages

Thursday, November 27, 2014

Thanksgiving: What It Really Means

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope your four day weekend is off to a good start! I'm sure you hear this all the time, but I'm going to say it anyways. Thanksgiving isn't all about the turkey on your dinner table, but it's a time to be thankful for what you've got. In fact, it's not just Thanksgiving. The holiday season, overall, is a time to be grateful and it's a time to give back to others.

We all know the story of how the pilgrims had a successful harvest, decided to have a feast with a duck, not a turkey, and invited the Native Americans. But what is the real story? In other words, when did we decide to have a feast every year? Let's start at the beginning. The first Thanksgiving (the one with the Pilgrims and Native Americans) actually consisted of different foods that we eat today. Some of them include corn, venison, all kinds of vegetables, bread, and more. They did have pumpkin and potatoes, but didn't use them for pie or mashed potatoes, like we do today. And the first Thanksgiving was a three day festival, which was all about eating, hunting, and entertainment. About a 150 years later, our good old founder, George Washington announced the first Thanksgiving meal, but this day wasn't celebrated by citizens until the 1800s, 200 years after the Thanksgiving with pilgrims. So there you have it! Thanksgiving in a paragraph!

Like I stated earlier, this is a time to be thankful for what you have. Three of the many things I'm grateful for are:
1) My parents--I feel so lucky to have a mom and dad, because unfortunately, not everyone has one or both. My parents are the most important people in the world for me.
2) A home, basic needs (food, water, toilet)--I grouped many into one, because if I stated each separately, it would be a pretty long list. I'm thankful for heat in my home and food on my table, clothes, bathroom, etc.
3) Lastly, I'm thankful for the freedom I have. My parents give me more freedom than others I know, and for that reason, I feel grateful to be entrusted with that many privileges.

What are you thankful for? Leave it in the comments below! :)

I hope this post was fairly interesting,

CityLover❅

No comments:

Post a Comment